Sunday, July 5, 2009

Preparing for the new iPhone 3G S

SingTel will have a launch event on 10 July 2009 (Friday) for the new iPhone 3G S in Singapore.

Enthusiasts who signed up with SingTel got an email on Friday - me included!

I am not sure whether I count as an iPhone enthusiast? "Yes"...because I owned the last 2 versions of the iPhone but ... "Maybe" - because I sold them within 2 weeks! Main reasons, smallish screen keypad, inability to forward sms and slow.

My recent ownership of a brand new 24" iMac piqued my interest in many things Apple. The launch of the new iPhone 3G S cannot be more timely. You can say, it sort of "completes" my conversion from Windows to Mac.

The new iPhone 3G S took care of all my pet peeves. It is not only faster, it provides a larger screen keypad in landscape position, sms forwarding function and like all things Apple, other sexy functions and programmes such as video and a better camera.

Since Singtel's announcement of the 10 July launch, I have been making preparations for my impending ownership. I sold my Nokia E71 today and then just an hour ago, I used a programme PocketMac to transfer all my contacts from my Blackberry phone to mac Address Book. I must say that for someone who owns a Mac and Blackberry, the free PocketMac software is very neat and handy. Just remember to run the driver update as well for the new Bold, Storm and Curve handset before launching the programme. The synchronisation was flawless and effortless!

I know, yes, I am aware of the many reports talking about the overheating problem for the new iPhone 3G S. I understand that this only becomes a problem when multiple programmes are run at the same time, and for long conversations. Unless one is trying to stress-test the phone, I do not think that a normal user like me will face such problems. Afterall, my new Nokia E71 also becomes quite hot when I am on the phone for a long time! This morning, I was trading sms with a friend who is also waiting for the new iPhone. I texted him that "not bad, buy one phone and get a toaster for free", and his reply was quite humorous and telling..., he replied "Being toasted is better than getting microwaved on windows based phone."

I wonder how the new iPhone 3G S will work out for my kind of lifestyle. In any case, I am prepared to give iPhone a 3rd chance. Hopefully, this time my ownership will be much more enduring. If not, I will sell it within 2 weeks again.

No comments: