Sunday, July 19, 2009

New Generation Old Generation Grandparents

This evening, we celebrated my son's 3rd birthday at Jumbo Seafood.

My mom, in particular, has been looking forward to this celebration. Not only is it her grandson's birthday but also my eldest's brother's birthday. Even though my parents try to be fair to both boys and girls in our family (and they are), you can tell the boys still feature strongly in their mind.

We had a fabulous time! For me I am just happy that my parents are happy; and everybody seem to enjoy themselves. My son in particular was very happy with his purple barney cake!

My parents in their late 60s have simple pleasures. Their way of expressing love is for family members to have a good meal and all of us could eat heartily. They are happy when they see their children each having a good family and hold a good job. Till today, my mother still wait for me to come back to have dinner, made sure that the food is hot and sit around looking at me when I eat and smiles when I enjoy the food. That's why I feel guilty sometimes when I need to attend official function and forget to tell her that I won't have dinner at home. Many times, I will not eat my fill and still come home for dinner because I cannot bear to disappoint her.

Tonight, when my father whipped out his mobile to snap a picture of my son during the birthday celebration surprised me. They are trying to keep current with the new generation, and I appreciate their effort.

For me, I am just glad that I can still play a part in my parents' lives. I am most fortunate to have a wife who is so understanding and supportive in this regard. My parents can stay as they are, they don't have to catch up with the new generation, I love them as they are.

No comments: