Monday, July 13, 2009

Lowering our "Frenetic Energy"

This evening, I had an unusual appointment with someone who made time for me.

There were a few firsts throughout the evening...

First, we started with wine - 2 bottles of wine to be precise. As I took each sip, I was delivered practical lessons on wine appreciation and found out what "structure" and "finish" actually feel in my mouth.

As we appreciated the "finish" of fine wine, I was delivered the message of "Lowering our Frenetic Energy" - it takes time to slowly appreciate what a good wine can bring and hurrying through it makes us miss the goodness. How true it is isn't is - especially in the fast pace life of Singapore. We are hurried on many things, our project, assignment, tasks and perhaps even our dreams! When we done with one thing, we do not spend the time to reflect, appreciate and learn, and move on to another thing quickly. We sometimes need to slow down to go faster - remember the last time that happened? I do, and it felt good.

Second (another First), consider what are the things that you really MUST learn and develop a consciousness and habit to concertedly do so. These "must learns" preferably should not be industry specific and portable and they include developing a wide network. When done, we can look forward to achieving independence in the future.

Third (yet another First), if we want (and mean) real breakthroughs, we need to really get out of our comfort zone...Many times we can be carried by the "waves" of life to a point in life where we are satisfice, but never realise our true potential.

Inspite of the influence of alcohol (or because of the influence of alcohol), these messages were delivered with sparkling clarity and the message struck a chord with the inner me.

The challenge is: 10 years from now, look back and see if I have indeed learnt anything or have I allow the waves to carry me through...

No comments: