Saturday, July 4, 2009

Developing a conscience of being environmentally friendly...

The Inconvenient Truth by El Gore about global warming...

A recent video entitled "Home" talks about the damage being inflicted on mother earth and that mankind has 10 years to change the way we live and to avert depletion of natural resources and catastrophic damage to earth's climate. My reservist colleague alerted me to this video. He said that he watched the hour long video with his 11 year old daughter and it changed the way she thought about the importance of being environmentally friendly. Tonight, I watched the video on youtube, as I key in my thoughts on my blog.

Personally, I've observed that the weather has become noticeably hotter, especially in recent times. Has the hole in the ozone layer become bigger? Freak weather has also become sort of the norm as we tune in to the news. I am trying to reason away the changes that I am seeing before my very eyes, but I could not. The damage being inflicted on our environment and consequently the impact on our climate has become quite clear.

The last few days, I turned my attention on the vehicle that I drive. Instinctively, my love for old mercedes benz took over. I chanced upon a rare 1984 Mercedes 380 SEC and it gripped my attention. As I thought about the prospect of buying that car, I reflected on the impact it will have on the environment and evoked a self discussion on whether it is indeed a need or want. Why do I need a 3.8 litre car? The consumption of the car will be almost twice that of my current car. Other than the cost of petrol, what will that mean in terms of my carbon footprint? Obviously there was tug-of-war between my heart, which indicate the MB 380 SEC would be such a lovely purchase and would satisfy my emotional being; and my head, which question the purchase from the angle of excess and impact on the environment. My heart, gave in today (just a little bit) and I swung by to Borneo motors to look at the new 1.8 Litre Toyota Prius. The hybrid car can do 23km on one litre of petrol, a saving of at least 60% of my current car. My head was nodding but my heart hurts as I stared at the Prius - it is so ugly, so plain, so lacking in character...but most of all, so inaccessible because there is a 5 months wait for the car!

I am thinking, the new Toyota Prius will be such a statement that I can carry regarding the message of environmentally friendly to others. Maybe, it may trigger a conversation around why do I still buy a car that I know is so plain? ... not to mention to pay a premium for it!

I am positive that my conscience of being environmentally friendly is currently being shaped in a significant manner. Even as this happens, I am determined that I will be a good advocate for the environment but one who will be practical in the world that we live in. By this I mean, I will continue to ask for a plastic bag when I need one for it is not practical for me to tuck a bag in my pocket wherever I go. But where I can do without one, such as my recent visit to Ikea, I will do without one.

So, should go for the MB 380 SEC or the Toyota Prius 1.8 ?


1 comment:

Unknown said...

The choice is obvious. Everyone needs to do his part for the environment. It takes 3 weeks of consistent doing to form a habit. Why not start the habit of bringing your own bag to put in your shopping. I want my kids and grandkids to enjoy this same earth.