Friday, July 24, 2009

Mission, Vision and Values of JGH

Tomorrow is yet another milestone for JGH. We will kick-off the series of conversations of what we stand for, where do we want to be, how do we get there, and values each and every staff member at the new Jurong General Hospital need to embrace.

The JGH team is determined not to allow this exercise to become mere words on the walls of hospital but living words that we will all embrace and live out on a daily basis. Our Patients, Our Community and Our Staff must become better because of the work that we do.

When I was interviewed by 938LIVE on 20 May 2009 and asked what is my vision for JGH. I said, "I'm actually looking forward to JGH being an integral part of the community in the western region, where residents can rely on for their health and fitness needs. We will work closely with the new community hospital and also the primary care clinics in our area so that patients can expect holistic care beyond the hospital into the community." I added that "... in designing the hospital's services and processes, patients' needs will be our main focus and we hope to make it hassle free for them."

However, it is not only just the patients and the community that must benefit. We must also be a hospital where staff will flourish. That's why, in the first JGH advertisement in the Straits Times on 4 July 2009, both Chairman Medical Board A/ Prof Cheah Wei Keat and I said that, "we envision an environment that fosters excellent patient care, where staff are Empowered to Excel and Encouraged to learn and grow."

Jurong General Hospital is where the birth of a new era in healthcare will take place. We want to make it a meaningful endeavour for ALL our staff, while at the same time make a difference to our patients and the community.

To ALL the Staff of Jurong General Hospital, thank you for taking part in this journey with me. I look forward to your ongoing commitment, dedication as we plan, design and build not just an excellent hospital but a healthcare institution for generations to come!

I also thank my colleagues in healthcare for backing me up in this journey.


No comments: