Saturday, June 14, 2008

Who is the patient? Ask...

It was not a typical Friday experience for me... afterall, it was Friday the 13th.

After I parked my car at the basement of the hospital, I went on my way as usual along the many corridors of the hospital, heading towards my office. Ahead of me, I saw an elderly woman, probably in her 70's pushing someone on wheelchair. I could not take my eyes off her. For some reason, I could feel her pain as she took each step, hobbling along as she gently pushed the wheelchair. I very much wanted to help but I thought maybe i should wait to see if she really needed it. It does not take long for me to travel alongside her and as I peered at her, she asked the person siting on the wheelchair if he was sure they were heading in the right direction. This is the perfect signal that they needed help. I stopped and asked if I could help. The young man on the wheelchair (which I implicitly assumed to be the patient) said that they were supposed to head towards Clinic M and held up an envelop to indicate the same. Obviously, they were headed in the opposite direction to where they should be heading. I took over the handle of the wheelchair and told them that I would bring them to their destination. I noticed the old lady was somewhat reluctant for me to help with the wheelchair and assumed that it is just the asian culture of not wanting to bother others with simple tasks. I felt good, as i thought about starting the day making a difference to another person.

I pushed along and made sure that the old lady was following along and keeping up. As she was hobbling along, probably due to pain in her knees, I stopped a few times to ask her if I could get a wheelchair for her but she refused. Within about 8 mins, we soon arrived at the clinics and i was met by clinic staff. I told the clinic staff to please help with the patient and the old lady and see that they get the help as well after they are done seeing the doctor. As the clinic staff was about to hold on to the handle of the wheelchair to push along, the old lady quickly moved in and assumed control of the wheelchair. The clinic staff insisted on helping but this time the old lady spoke up. She said in hokkien "I need to push the wheelchair because it gives me support when I walk...otherwise my legs will be very painful."

I realised how foolish I was! I should have asked. Then came the next "blow" - in the brief conversation, I realised that the old lady was the patient and not the young man on the wheelchair. Must someone on a wheelchair always be a patient?! Again, I should have asked!

What's the moral of the story? Even though the patient's needs are paramount, we may not know what they need until we ask. Do not assume. In this particular case, I may have helped them to the right clinic but I certainly caused the patient (old lady) enough anguish, having to walk without support.

My compassion has overtaken my rationality in this case. However, this will not stop me from offering help proactively in future. This experience has taught me how to do it better the next time. I will ASK!

No comments: