Sunday, June 8, 2008

How to lose 10kg?

I was loitering around Suntec City after lunch today with my family and was drawn to a health exhibition on diabetes organised by the Health Promotion Board.

The activity that caught my eye was a BMI measurement machine. Simply step on without your shoes, look straight and within a few seconds, a beep will sound and the printer will print out your BMI, along with your weight, height and recommended weight range. I convinced my wife and my 2 daughters to stay on the queue with me and go through the simple assessment.

I went first, thinking that I must be within range. The print-out came and I cannot help but noticed that based on my BMI, I am within the lower end of the "Moderate Risk" category. I weigh in at 76kg at a height of 1.73m and my ideal weight range is 56kg to 68kg. My daughter pretended to mock me "papa, you are overweight!". But the point was made. I decided that I will reduce my weight to 66kg within 3 months and watch my carbo and sugar intake.

I started with an open commitment because I really need all the help that I can get to stay the course to lose 10kg. I told my wife that I am overweight and I also declared to my mother that i am overweight and need to lose 10kg. To help me, I said that I will be cutting down on my carbo intake and will be taking my dinner earlier so that there is ample time to burn the calories off before bedtime. Mentally, I imagine that I would intensify my weekly exercises and perhaps the ARMY 10km marathon in August 2008.

At dinner tonight, i cut down on my rice intake and stuck to ice water. This is my first step.

Wish me luck and keep me on track. Suggestions welcomed though i will not try any medication.

No comments: