Saturday, June 7, 2008

Can one restart a running routine in his 40's?

Last week, i think it was the Today weekend edition newspaper that i read about Creative's Sim Wong Hoo dramatic transformation into the running culture. At 52 years, he suddenly decided to pick up running to stay fit and nimble, and recently attempted the night marathon or the ultra-marathon. To me, this is admirable and motivating.

At the company's marathon today at Bedok Reservior, i met up with a former colleague who is also in his 50's. At his age, i could see the folds on his forehead that hinted to his age, but other than this, he looks trim and fit. he is currently about a third of his old self about 5 years ago. very early on in our chat, i found out that he too took part in the recent sundown marathon.

at the flag off, he went for either the 5.8km route or the 10km route whereas i took the 3km route. it has been sometime since i last ran outdoor and frankly i struggled to reach the half way point. what motivated me to carry on was that both sim wong hoo and my colleague who are both a decade older than me could have enough discipline to complete the run and make it much faster than me. to cut the long story short, i completed my 3km run covered with perspiration but satisfied. i set my mind to start a running routine for myself and keep myself disciplined to do so... i write so that i can remind myself of this promise to myself. hold me accountable.

my legs are sore and the feeling is good!

No comments: