Thursday, June 26, 2008

Half Full, Half empty


We don't spend enough time appreciating the goodness around us.

Indeed, if we would only pause to reflect and take in a deep breath of air in the midst of our buzyness, we could find at least one thing to be appreciative about today. I am sure all of us can do this...but watch out for this trap, the trap that the "goodness is not good enough", that the "goodness can be better", or the "Goodness should have been...". In other words, the glass is Half full, BUT more importantly it is Half empty... so I will wait when the other half fills up.

The wait can go on and can on a vicious cycle. Truly we need to be able to appreciate the fact that the glass is half full, be encouraged that the glass IS already half full, before we can ever learn to deal with the other half of the glass that needs to be filled.

Today, I fell into the trap of "glass half empty" mentality. When I was asked by my colleague if we should communicate about 2 initiatives that we have done well in the hospital, my instinctive reply was that these 2 initiatives should be done in the first instance and so the hospital actually doing it is really "no big deal".

I was really troubled by my own words. This thought kept ringing in my head. I now realised that at least my hospital has gotten round to these 2 initiatives and have executed it extremely well... glass half full. The reality could well have been that they would never be done because we do not find the courage to do it... Glass half empty.

Let us not fall into the same trap as I have. Having a grateful heart, I have found, is the most helpful. Stay on the journey with me...

1 comment:

Janet said...

I'm humbled by your frankness