Saturday, February 28, 2009

Having lunch with patients...

Today, I hosted a regular Patient Feedback Lunch. Some 10 patients and their family turned up and we had a very good conversation about what we can do to improve hospital processes and patient experience.

I first know about this idea to invite patient back for lunch when I was working at Toa payoh Hospital in 1993. The then CEO had the idea that it would be great if our staff could hear patients' feedback in person, while at the same time engage patients in our journey of quality improvement. To qualify to be invited, there was only one criteria - patients must have complained about their care and service in the hospital before. I remembered when he first mooted this idea, the leadership was quite concerned - to say the least. Many could not imagine how such a setup could produce any meaningful conversation as patients, we thought, would be too emotional about their experiences that led to their complaints. I was one of those.

When it was time for me to attend the first patient feedback lunch, I prepared mentally for a "show down". What became obvious to me very quickly was that patients appreciated the opportunity to be invited back to share their feedback for improvement, and the lunch with patients generated significant goodwill. Of course, there were the infrequent emotional "outburst" from patients. But, I have found that when patients know that we are sincere about making the improvements and gave them a listen ear, they quickly settle down and turn their comments into constructive feedback. Other patients in the midst also often provided alternative views on various care and service process issues and that helped balance the discussions. Having seen how powerful such a lunch session with patients could be, I have been a convert ever since.

So, when I moved to SGH some 5 years ago, I brought along this practice; and with the help of a very supportive and inspired SQ and Comms team we started it and have never looked back.

Personally, I am inspired after every patient feedback lunch that I host. Listening to patients, I know that the work that we do make a real difference to real people and that helped fan the flame that kept me going for 16 years in Singapore healthcare. What makes it even sweeter is to be able to make a difference along side a bunch of great people equally dedicated and committed to the cause!

No comments: