Monday, February 2, 2009

Teach Less, Learn More

I am on my way to fetch my daughter in Primary 5 for her Chinese tuition. On saturdays, she goes for her science tuition and soon, my wife intends for her to restart her math tuition.

My second daughter who is currently in K2 at a nearby Kindergarten has also started Chinese tuition and math tuition.

The intensity of learning even in junior school is very high and I must say the same can be said about the standard. Some of the school problems that they are expected to solve are quite difficult and require a fairly high level of reasoning and modeling skills. Based on our judgement, to entirely depend on the teaching done in school without supplementation by additional home coaching or tuition is insufficient for the student to be able to fully grasp the subject matter and to do well. Doing well, is important because of the meritocratic society that Singapore has become and where education feature high in one's destiny.

So, no choice - In school, they "Teach Less" and in order to "Learn More", many parents have resorted to sending their kids for many tuition classes. Actually, this gives a new meaning to "Teach Less, Learn More" - the motto of our education ministry. We should add, "Pay More".

Not complaining but just making an observation as I live my life with my children growing up.

No comments: