Monday, December 8, 2008

Why do you do what you do?

My daughter asked me this question as we were having dinner at IKEA Tampines yesterday.

I was tempted to give the "brush-off" answer such as "because I've got to earn money to...", when something within me told me that it was a teachable moment and that I should use it wisely.

I told her "Papa has found his calling to help people who are sick and I like what I do and i think I am also quite good at it." I proceeded to tell her to consciously seek out what she loves so that when she grows up she will be able to find a job that she likes and that she will be able to express her talents through her work. She looked at me in my eye and said, "oh, now I know papa" and she proceeded with other facinations at IKEA.

Her question did not leave me even though she was satisfied with my answer. I truely wish that she too will find her calling and find the satisfaction of her contribution through her job when she grows up. This she will have to find with quiet facilitation from her parents.

How did I "find" my calling in Healthcare? For me, it was by observing the "giants" in my midst and be inspired. I was fortunate to work directly with Mr Liak Teng Lit (now CEO of Alexandra Hospital) and Mr Chua Song Khim (was CEO of national University Hospital and now Group CEO of ChinaHealthcare). Both of them taught me much early on in my career that we do what we do because of the Patients. They taught me, whatever it is, keep your eyes on the patient and you will know that you are heading in the right direction. I saw through their works that it is possible as healthcare administrators to make a difference to the care, service and experience of patients. Patients' lives are touched through the work that we do. Through both of them, and chiefly Professor Tan Ser Kiat (now Group CEO of Singapore Health Services), I was inspired to learn more about the contributions of other giants in healthcare such as Mr Khaw Boon Wan (now Minister of Health) and Dr Kwa Soon Bee (longest serving Permanent Secretary for Health) and the difference that they have made to Singapore Healthcare. One does not need to be a doctor to be able to make a difference for patients. I see that I too could contribute towards the ideal that Hippocrates said in his famous quote, "To Heal Sometimes, to Treat Often, to Comfort Always" by partnering other healthcare providors.

My last 15 years in healthcare afforded me the opportunity to work with other giants whose work and effort revolves around patients and their wellbeing. I like what I do... sure I have the occasional moments that leave me frustrated as well, but when I refocus on the patients, all is worth it!

Patients. At the Heart of All we Do! - SGH's Tagline...

No comments: