Tuesday, December 2, 2008

No "Good Bye"?

This morning, at a promotion review meeting, I found out that a good new staff has tendered her resignation and today would be her last day. Even though she does not report to me, I was disappointed that I have only come to know of this so late but even more disappointed with losing a good staff.

Interestingly, by the time I returned to my desk, I still received a few fresh emails from the staff trying to settle some meeting matters. I thought to myself, I will swing by to say "Thank you" and wish her well in her new job. I took out a "Thank you" card from my drawer, wrote a note of appreciation in it, inserted it into an envelope and wrote her name on the outside. I walked to her desk, but she was not there. I left the card on her desk and walked off, thinking that she would still be back.

By the afternoon, I am told that she already packed and left in the morning. What I am curious about is why was there no Good Bye? Maybe, there were just too many to say Good Bye to... and perhaps I am one of those best to avoid?

I just hate losing good staff!

No comments: