Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A New "Champion" has been uncovered in Singapore - "The Rudest Motorist of the Day"



Ladies and gentlemen, I am ashamed to introduce to you the winner of "The Rudest Motorist of the Day" award - Ms Nissan Blue Cefiro of Holland Village!

I have been a driver for many years, heard about many many experiences of inconsiderate, rude and dangerous motorists, personally experienced some of the worst myself, been guilty of some chaff myself... BUT, today I met the motorist that epitomises the worst attitude.

My wife and I headed to Holland village for lunch to use a voucher that is close to expiration. Parking was full and instead of spinning round the carpark, we decided that we will wait for other drivers to leave and then take our lot. We stopped our vehicle along a lane patiently waiting for our turn. After some 10 minutes, we saw a vehicle preparing to leave. I signalled my intention to take the lot. At that time, Ms Nissan Blue Cefiro approached slowly from the opposite direction, overtook another vehicle who was also waiting and stopped close to my car. She turned, looked at my car, saw my signal to take the lot, mumbled something and reversed her car into the lot as the parked vehicle left the lot.

I tapped my horn at her, gesturing to her that I was waiting for the lot (in case she need any reminder on basic road courtesy)... she looked at me, mumbled some more and continued her way into the lot. Figuring that car language is not something that she understands, I got out of the car and approached her. I told her that it was clear that I have been waiting for the lot and she should not have taken it as a matter of courtesy. Her remarks astounded me.

She said, "You don't own the carpark, I can park as I like, I don't care if you are waiting." What was even more amazing about her remarks was that she said all that in front of her 5-year old child who was in the car with her! What she also did not realise was that she also does not own the carpark, and basic courtesy needs to be practiced and respected.

Exercising, a supreme version of self control learnt from my recent trip to the "holy" Mt. Fuji, I was reminded of a book that I read before "Don't Fight with Pigs - You get dirty and they enjoy it." I walked away, least I become reduced to a lower being.

I am appalled by the absolute lack of basic courtesy and the total disregard for others. Fortunately, Ms Nissan Blue Cefiro form the minority amidst the civilised population in Singapore.

Congratulations, Ms Nissan Blue Cefiro - you won... BUT, really?

No comments: