Friday, October 10, 2008

Well done Changi General Hospital!!

It has been a somewhat tiring night for me. At 6.15pm, I was informed by my wife that the only (and favourite) grandaunt has suffered a massive heart attack and was in critical condition at the A&E of Changi General Hospital.

I rushed to CGH and along the way managed to speak to Dr Mohan and found out about a rough prognosis of my grandaunt. She was put on streptokynase (a clot dissolving medication to reduce damage to the heart muscle after a heart attack) and being monitored for the need for PCI (Percutaneous Coronary Intervention - also known as angioplasty).


Finally, my grandaunt had to undergo an emergency PCI and the procedure was a success! The doctor told me that her right arteries were 70% block and were totally cleared with the insertion of a stent. After the procedure, her chest pain was largely relieved and she is currently under observation at MICU.


It was heartwarming to see a dedicated group of doctors and nurses working in concert in rescue of my grandaunt both at the A&E and the medical ICU. The professionalism and care that they showed to my grandaunt was truly remarkable. The staff kept the family members informed every step of the way and have a way in managing anxious NOKs.


Singapore healthcare system while not perfect is truly one where Singaporeans can be proud of. The care that my grandaunt just received at CGH is an example. To staff at CGH A&E, MICU and Cath Lab, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

No comments: