Saturday, October 4, 2008

Mind over Body...a Personal Revelation

You may be aware that I recently experienced a "Fitness Awakening" when I had my one week break. It started last saturday morning when I was aimlessly looking at my facebook when I chanced upon the status of one of my friend Ivan. He posted "just cycled another 40km and ran 4km...".

It started me thinking. The question I asked myself was "why was I lazing away and others could get themselves so disciplined with fitness". Even though I was still feeling lazy at that time, my mental state brought me into action. I changed into my sports gear and headed straight down to east coast park with the aim to cycle a significant distance.

By 1230pm, I was on a bike and cycled all the way close to changi point and made my way back. I covered some 24km to and fro, got a little sun burnt and felt really good with myself after that.

On Sunday, I got into my regular gym at Serangoon garden Country Club and this time I got on the treadmill. To tell the truth, after my national service I had developed an adversion to running but I know I need the cardiovascular exercise perhaps more than the weights and static exercises. Within 10 minutes, I was ready to stop. My mind was sending very strong signal to my body that I am tired and I should quit. My mind was also telling me that it was alright because I had already put in the distance the previous day through cycling. At the same time was telling me the "Ivan Status on facebook" and that I should be disciplined if I want to stay fit.

By the time I won the mental "war", I was able to concentrate on my breathing, listen to the rhythm of my pace and before I knew it, I completed 30 full minutes on the treadmill each time upping the speed at regular interval. My body was covered with sweat after the run but it was really satisfying. It was even more amazing for me that once my mind was decided, my body was able to take it.

Next, I was at the benchpress and loaded on 40kg. before I started the first set, I developed a mental picture that I would complete 8 repetitions. True enough, by the time I completed my 8th rep, my body was telling me that I should rest. I decided that in the next set I should completed 10 reps instead. Amazingly, even by the time I reached the 8th rep, my body was still able to go on and eventually complete 2 more reps. I am convinced that within limits, our mind has the capability to programme our body to do what we can imagine. Many of us had our first revelation when we were serving our national service but my "fitness awakening" is a reminder. This has tremendous applications even in our daily personal and worklife.

Mind over body, its is true. We can do wonders when we can imagine it!

No comments: