Friday, March 27, 2009

The longing to be home...

It has been 2 weeks since I left home for a series of learning visits to US hospitals, attended a summit and a congress. At the end of the first week in the US, I learnt that my wife had been admitted to the hospital for dengue fever.

Even though I had an eventful time in the US, this time the longing to be home has never been stronger. The thought that I am really needed at home but am miles apart from my family was a difficult feeling to describe. My heart was really hurt when I called back one day, only to realised that my wife's platelet count had continued on the decline to 23k, my daughter Mel missed her mother so much that she cried for 3 hours and my eldest daughter told my wife that she felt like an orphan. That was when an early flight back to Singapore was confirmed and now I am on my way home.

While catching an internal flight earlier, I was really worried when my flight which was scheduled at 2.40pm was delayed to 5.30pm, then changed to 4.00pm due to changing weather conditions. The thought that I will arrive home later than scheduled on Saturday was not an outcome that I desire. Thank God, I made it through that flight and am now awaiting SQ flight to Singapore.

Yes, it will be Saturday morning when I arrived in Singapore. Perfect time for me to catch my usual breakfast with wife at the mee kiah stall at Serangoon. At the same time, I can almost imagine my 3 kids swooning over me at the door.

Glad to be home soon...what a wonderful life!!

1 comment:

Janice Tan said...

Dear Boss, maybe you would like to drink beetroot juice...Mit kinda of help my husbandduring his dengue period too..
Janice