Sunday, March 8, 2009

Creatures of Habit


Every weekend, I look forward to having breakfast with my wife. Not just any breakfast, but breakfast at a noodle stall at a corner coffee shop at Serangoon garden. And, every week, I will have the same, "Mee Kiah Tah" (small noodles, dry with chilli) and my regular "kopi-C" (coffee with evaporated milk).
There is nothing special about the taste of the food and drink but the routineness of the taste, experience, familiarity with the people allow me to feel comfortable as if I am at home, and yet have a sense of being away. Here is where I have some of the best conversations with my wife and time of reflection.
My children too have become familiar with the routine. I try not to bring them on a Saturday because that's my time with my wife. But on Sunday, they join us and they enjoy it too.
We are all creatures of habit, and an occasion sense of routine is good for the soul.

No comments: