Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Day 14 ... and I am Healing Well

Today is day 14... I was back at the ENT Centre to see Dr Tan for my review. I could feel the development of some crusting in my left nostril and was actually looking forward to have more of the bunk in my nose cleared. Overall, I have been feeling great. The inside of my nose still feels a little sensitive to touch and I have careful not to let any "trauma" happen to my nose. With 3 growing up kids and handling them, such a chance is actually not remote. When I am upclose with my children, I always warn them ahead "be careful not to hit papa's nose...". So far so good.

When it was time for me to see Dr Tan, I sat down as usual on the ENT chair. Dr Tan sprayed my nose and told me that he will proceed with cleaning and suction in a short while. The nurse manager came by to ask if I had taken my breakfast. She remembered that during my last visit I was dizzy during the nose toilet procedure partly due to the fact that I had an empty stomach. I assured her that I had taken my breakfast - I need to eat breakfast because that was a requirement before taking my antibiotics.

The suction began... with the scope down my left nostril first, I saw my nose upclose and personal again. The loosened crusts were picked up, the mucous sucked up, the old blood from surgery picked up. There were some areas that Dr Tan told me that he does not want to touch today as they may need some time to heal.

He went on to the right nostril. As he navigated the scope, he showed me where he had shaped the turbinate, the incisions that he made, the stitches and finally he navigated to the entrance of my bottom right sinus. There he picked the remnants of a blood clot from the surgery, he sucked it up, then came more...he sucked and he pulled, more came out and even more came out. In the end, a large blob of darken blood clot came out and my nose was even clearer! What a wonderful sensation!

Dr Tan told me that this is the reason why he emphasised post surgical cleaning of the nose. I am delighted that I am in good hands!

So, my journey through healing is almost coming an end... and the sun is shining bright!

3 more days of antibiotics to go... and next week I will be going back to see Dr Tan perhaps for the last time to do a final clean-up for my nose.

I am grateful for the offer of hope by Dr Tan nam Guan and his professional hands. To all the other caregivers in Singapore largest hospital, thank you so much for being part of such a special team providing best outcome, best experience for our patients!

No comments: