Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Why did I start this Blog?

I just had an amazing experience. For the first time in the last 25 years, I could finally SMELL THE ROSES... For those of us who have taken nice big breath of fresh air through your nose for granted, you may find my expression of esctasy hard to understand. I don't blame you.

In medical terms, I had just gone through 3 surgical procedures on my nose - a balloon sinuplasty, septoplasty and turbinate surgery - the combination designed to clear my sinuses so that I may breathe properly.

In layman's terms (I like this better...), perhaps 3 highways to my 4 sinuses are "jammed" and needed to be cleared. Otherwise, I experience what is known as chronic sinusitis, and with post nasal drip of the mucous back to my throat when I sleep, I get the "regular cough", throat infection and flu like symptoms.

I have suffered these nasty symptoms plus regular running rose, continuous sneezing, itchy eyes, congested nose (at least one side of my nose will be blocked at any given time)... for the last 25 years. I have accepted it as a way of life. I have been told all through the years that I have allergic rhinitis - a common ailment. Other than the usual medicine including steroids to relieve the symptoms, there is nothing much else that can be done. Breathing through my mouth when my nose was not working became the norm!

But I know that I am not alone. I know of many others who suffers the same. Some more diligent with their medicine, others tried some form of surgical intervention like "laser" (like I did some 15 years ago without any effect) and got discouraged, and many got tired (like I did) and just live life with the condition without medication. In fact, I have some friends who are waiting to see "how things go with my surgery" before they decide for themselves and/ or their loved ones and friends.

In November last year, I decided that I will do something about my condition. I signed up with Dr Tan Nam Guan from SGH for surgery. On thursday 10th January 2008 I had my surgery - determined the start 2008 on the right note. Today is the 5th day post surgery and I can tell that the surgery was a success. Now I can breathe through both sides of my nose... it is a wonderful feeling being able to fill your lungs with each breath...and I must say that this is so energising! My nose still bleed a little off and on, it still hurts but I already tell that this is all going to work out. Had I known this, I would have done the surgery a long time ago... so this is reason number 1.

Reason number 2 is that planning for surgery was a source of anxiety for me - who wouldn't be... Even though my doctor has been most helpful and forthcoming with information, I wanted to be able to hear the information from a patient's perspective - was the surgery painful? how did they feel post surgery? could they breathe immediately or was it a long process of healing? I surfed the web but found little. Now that I have gone through this procedure personally, I can share with others who may be searching for the same information.

Suffering from allergic rhinitis and chronic sinusitis is not a life threatening ailment but they are personally and socially debilitating. I felt tired from the symptoms. I have little energy left after an "attack" to play with my kids, spend time on things that I like to...If my experience is anything to go by, there is HOPE. Smelling the Roses, through your Nose (wow they rhymm...) is possible.

If you have something similar to share, pl add to this blog. Over the next few days, I will be adding to this blog detailing my experience from surgery to recovery. This is a way for me to keep myself occupied as I recover at home. Cheers!

No comments: