Thursday, January 17, 2008

Day 5 and 6 - The Splints are out and the Nose is Clear!

It is already Day 6 today and I have yet to start on Day 1! I guess it will take me some time to get used to the rhythm of blogging...

The splints - 2 pieces of plastic about 5 cm long - came out of my nose yesterday. They were put in my nose to line my straightened Septum post surgery for support and continue to keep my "new" septum in line. Taking them out was quite an experience. The splints were well anchored in the flesh of my nose after 5 days and taking each out inevitably mean some scratching of the nose inner surface. The feeling sent tears down my eyes - I didn't cry, just the automatic trigger as the nose and eyes are related.

Next came the "Nose Toilet" - a term that I thought was quite accurate and interesting. Here is what it means... after surgery, blood clots and mucous as part of the healing process and exposure to new found gushes of air caused quite a bit of "crusting" in the nose. These crusts are known in common lingo as "noise shit". Because there is so much crust in the nose, breathing may be impeded. Hence, the need for nose toilet. My surgeon Dr Tan, skillfully put me on a ENT chair, navigated a scope down each channel of my nose and sucked up the "debris". There were huge pieces of crust and for these he would use a combination of scope (to introduce light and visibility) and a caliper to bring the "rubbish" out. With the suction and removal of the crusts, I could instantaneously feel the gush of fresh air through my nose, filling my lungs.

The nose toilet session is not all plain sailing. I experienced some bleeding and at a certain point, I suddenly felt dizzy from the pain. After Dr Tan applied some pressure on my wrist, I was better within 3 mins. He told me that such is a natural body reflex, when the body encounters some pain or bleeding, and it may trigger a reduction of blood pressure leading to sudden dizziness.

The bleeding stopped after some packing were introduced into my nose and removed after 1 hour. Before I went home, I was given a prescription comprising Sodium Bicarbonate power. This is to be mixed with 250 ml of water each time and used to flush my nose 3 times per day with the help of a syringe. This would help alleviate crusting and keep the nose clear all day.

That is all I have been doing for Day 6 (today) - flushing - not a very complimentary term especially after my description of a nose toilet. I realised that flushing with sodium bicarbonate really works. The crust seems to "melt" and cames out mixed with mucous. I am really excited about my new found freedom in my nose!

By the way, I met 2 staff yesterday as I was waiting around the clinic for the packing in my nose to be removed. I soon found out that they too have loved ones who have been 'suffering" the way I have been for many years. They are keen to see if their loved ones could benefit from treatment.

No comments: