Sunday, September 21, 2008

China Milk Fiasco - A Sad manifestion of Cruel Greed!

Picture linked from Boston.com News

September 14 saw the collapse of Lehman Brothers and the spark of yet another Tsunami in the financial turmoil that started in the US but soon hit the rest of the world.

Another Tsunami closer to home is now rapidly unfolding... one that I can relate better emotionally with because my kids and those of our loved ones may be exposed to varying degree.

According to Bloomberg.com (Asia), at least 4 children have died and some 13,000 children are hospitalised. A girl in Hong Kong has also succumb to the poisoning.

As we enter into a rapidly globalised world, problems in one country can no longer be contained within its own borders. With the world converging to China to take advantage of the cheaper labour and materials (in this case Milk), China made products are now spread throughout the world, including Singapore. AVA announced the suspension of Chinese imports of 2 China made products tested positive for Melamine yesterday, one of which is the popular Dutch Lady brand of milk. Other popular products with children include the Meiji ice cream are also found to be contaminated. Tonight, according to the Channel News Asia reporting another popular White Rabbit Milk sweet was found to be contaminated. I am sure more products will be tested positive as this fiasco unfolds.

I am outraged because I know that my children have been exposed to this products before. To make things worst, the Bloomberg article states that the milk stations supplying Sanlu have been adding Melamine to their milk since April 2005! This is potentially 3 years worth of exposure - though I pray that stroke of grace and God's protection that they will be fully protected.

Personally, I have raided all milk products in my home and scrutinised the source of manufacture. All China made products are thrown into the bin - including a box of white rabbit milk sweet, Moo Moo ice cream biscuits...

I wonder what will bring a group of human beings to do such devastating acts of cruelty to others especially to children all because of greed? I am disappointed... but more importantly it has made me more vigilant.

No comments: