Friday, February 22, 2008

What exactly do we miss about the SGH Housemen Canteen?




The Housemen canteen closed today. On Monday, when we return to work at SGH, our usual morning instincts may walk a number of us back to the doors of Housemen Canteen for our caffeine fix and breakfast only to be reminded that it is closed. There may be a fleeting moment of disappointment as our minds rapidly reprogramme on where next to satisfy our hunger pangs. Given that we are all creatures of habits, this may take a while...


Today, I made a special trip in the late afternoon to have my won tan mee tah and kopi-c. As I settled with my kopi with my colleague, a 95.8FM reporter came up to my table. She asked if I could speak mandarin and proceeded to ask what are the most special memories about the housemen canteen. I had 2 thoughts, the first being my chinese really sucks and her second questions set my mind searching.


I have always felt that there is something about the atmosphere at housemen canteen. Is it the sense of familiarity that the stallowners have grown to know me? All I have to do is to make myself visible in the busy line at the drink stall, and when I advance close enough, my teh-c in the morning and kopi-o in the afternoon will be ready. Is it because the prawn noodle stall lady would would ask me in chinese "...the same..." and proceed to make my bowl of heh mee tah?


Is it the coffee shop environment and informal table arrangements that make just being there a more relaxing place compared to the workplace? That said, I don't remember being at other coffee shops and feel anything close to what I feel at housemen canteen. Discussions with colleagues at housemen canteen somehow seem less constraint and more productive. Of course, it is a great place to unwind and whine after a hard day's work.


Could it be the price of food and drinks? May be not the most important factor because till today I do not know how much I paid for my regular teh-c, kopi-o or kopi-c. But maybe because the price is not way out there that will trigger a reaction that "interacts" with the taste of food. I met up with a security staff from SNEC when I queued for free coffee yesterday. We quickly struck up a conversation as we tried to kill time in the long line. I asked him what will be his alternatives after Housemen canteen is closed, he said "I will bring my bread and coffee...I cannot afford the other places...". Then again, maybe it is the price...


Yesterday, the hospital held a "Farewell Housemen Canteen" event. Many staff took turns to talk about their memories at Housemen canteen. I realised I could count a "Housemen Queen" as my friend and colleague and also heard that Housemen canteen is the place where "announcements" are shared and gossipped before the formal communication by the boss. Whatever the reasons why we are so fond of our SGH Housemen canteen, we proposed a kopi toast towards the end of the event and toss Lo hei with all the stall owners. It was special time because at that moment I felt a sense of family at Housemen canteen.


SGH Housemen Canteen will always hold a special place in the hearts of staff on outram campus. I pray this special spirit will not be lost when we reopen soon in a location nearby.

No comments: