Thursday, February 14, 2008

The "Housemen Canteen" at SGH Closes next week... Many sniffles but not from allergic reactions

Next week, on the 22 Feb 2008, a favourite icon on SGH campus - The Housemen Canteen shuts down to make way for the new SGH Pathology building.

Not exactly the best looking building nor one with the best finishes, but the Housemen canteen is one of the favourite destinations for staff and patients in SGH. It is the place where the official business gets done, rumours shared, gossips exchanged, discussions completed and hungry stomachs filled. Doctors, nurses, porters, cleaners, clerks, administrators, therapists and even patients in hospital pyjamas can be found there. Most will prefer a cup of Kopi at housemen anytime and if you are running out of time...nevermind, you can always carry the coveted Kopi or teh-C in a plastic bag and savour it later.

Too bad the Housemen canteen has to close... but not for the lack of trying to save it. The boundary of the new building will be too close to the canteen during construction to ensure structural integrity and safety. A new home has been found but it is still sad to see the Housemen canteen close...

I went to the housemen canteen for my kopi this evening. If not because of the dinner prepared at home, I would have topped it off with my regular wanton mee dry... I could see the writings on the wall. Staff are encouraged to pen their feelings and thoughts for the housemen canteen on her walls during the last days. Reading them, I could sense the SNIFFLES that must have come with the writings. "I'll Miss You...", "...where can I go for my Kopi ...", "you are the heartbeat of SGH..." are just some of the emotional expressions amongst many others that filled an entire wall. Just as the patient is the common rallying point for staff in SGH, I could sense the unity that this old housemen canteen brings. I reminded myself that I will bring along a marker to add my thoughts too tomorrow.

Goodbye Housemen Canteen, you will be missed... till we meet again soon :-)

No comments: