Thursday, August 13, 2009

An unexpected moment of friendship and inspiration

Today, for some strange reasons, I turned up at 1pm for a meeting at the Outram Campus that was scheduled for 2pm. Quite unexpectedly, the ex-matron of SNEC also turned up for the same meeting also thinking that the time of the meeting was 1pm. The meeting room was obviously empty except for the 2 of us. Since we have not met for quite a while since I left SGH, we decided to just chat.

The next 1 hour was inspiring. Past retirement age already, she decided to continue to serve. It was clear to me that she wanted to continue to nurture the next generation of nurses with her presence and experience. She spoke about the time when she trained nurses in her younger days. She said, "I did not just train nurses just for eye centre but for Singapore". She went on to talk the need to learn from each other and the need to be generous with knowledge and with each other. She said, "when I have something that you need, I should share it. When you use it, you will improve on it, and later on when I need it, I would have something better in return". How enlightened a person.

I enjoyed the conversation and was energised by the unexpected moment of friendship and inspiration.

There are many great people in Singapore public healthcare system. That's why it feels so good to serve!


No comments: