Thursday, January 1, 2009

I will try the Standard Chartered Marathon this year...Is it a realistic goal?

I have been consistently running for the last 3 months on alternate days.

Starting this routine was tough both physically and psychologically. There were many times, I gave myself many excuses why I should give up but I am grateful I persisted. It must one of those mid-life crisis thing when one cross the 40 mark. Still I am not a great runner, I run casually but have noticed that I am now able to cover greater distances or the same distance at faster speeds. This is a real morale booster!

During the last 2 weeks, I had conversations with 2 colleagues and found out that they both completed the recent Standard Chartered Marathon. I was very inspired and found out that most people do not run the full 42km, they ran what they could and walked the rest of the way. But still to cover 42km is quite a feat!

So now I am thinking aloud to myself. If I stick to my running routine and take care to avoid injuries, I should be fit enough to cover the marathon in a casual run cum walk fashion. This would be a key milestone for me!

I am feeling confident today because I achieved a new personal running milestone - I covered twice my usual distance and felt great at the end of my run! What a fantastic way to start the new year.

I will remember to post my running tag when I complete my marathon this year. I think I can do it!

No comments: