Friday, October 30, 2009

How to mess up without even trying!




My team recently visited a brand new hospital in the US, reconstructed with many hundred of millions of dollars after an earthquake. Even though there were many things that we could learn from the hospital, I was distracted.

I was distracted because I was disappointed by the lack of ownership and lack of attention to details by staff members throughout the hospital. They carelessly plaster signs on the wall, leave trash along the corridor and left random scratches on the walls as they moved supplies through the corridors.

As a result, even though the hospital is very new, it looks old, worn and shabby. What a waste! I also observed that staff of the hospital did not even try to correct the problems that have become so obvious. Perhaps, they told themselves, "if my colleagues don't care, why should I?"- worst still "if my bosses don't care, why should I?"

My team and I are currently planning the new Jurong General Hospital. What I saw in the US cannot, must not and will not repeat in JGH. I am creating this expectation now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear H J Foo,

Some time ago, I left a comment on your blog regarding a linguistic research project but I didn't get any answer. Would you be interested or not? If you want to take part and/or have more questions, please drop me a note ( hack2301@uni-trier.de RE: Question ) so that I can then send you the 'official' project eMail. We'd really appreciate your help. (And really, completing our questionnaire takes less than 5 min.)

Thanks very much in advance!
Best regards,
- Fran