Saturday, September 19, 2009

Reunion with the Principal who gave me a 2nd chance...





Today, after 25 years, I met up with Mr Rudy Mosbergen, the ex-RJC Principal who gave me a second chance and changed the trajectory of my life.

I am indeed thankful to my ex-colleague from SGH Mumtaj who helped made the connection through a friend of a friend who knew Mr Mosbergen's son Nigel.

It was a simple reunion today at the Delifrance of the Toa Payoh HDB Hub. I ordered a Coke-lite and a tuna puff for Mr Mosbergen and I took a regular coke. I was so happy to see Mr Mosbergen and I could tell he was happy to meet me as well. He showed me a print-out of the tribute to him that I wrote in my Teacher's Day blog in 2008, and he said he underlined the most important things in there. I took a look at the printout and found out that he highlighted in blue the following:

(a) His favourite quotes to students "The mind is a terrible thing to waste"

(b) My name

(c) ...that I am the CEO of Jurong General Hospital.

We shared anecdotes of our lives over the last 25 years. Before we departed, he handed a copy of his book "In the Grip of a Crisis" which he personally autographed. It was at that time that I realised that he is much more than most would know - he is not only an author but also a songwriter, and an ex-national olympian in hockey.

I gave him a little token in crystal of a nurturing bird looking after a younger bird. On it I engraved the words "Specially Dedicated to Mr Rudy Mosbergen, Ex-RJC Principal...Because you gave me a second chance, I could be who I am today...Foo Hee Jug RJC Class of 1984".

Let's give others a second chance, you never know the kind of impact it can mean to them...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This entry is so inspiring! Im starting to miss my table tennis coach from my teenage years.

Indeed, the mind is a terrible thing to waste!

Unknown said...

Mr Mosbergen was more than just a teacher. He Inspired! I deemed myself very fortunate indeed to have received that special aura that few educators had in those days. He embodied the essence of true learning comprising not just academic achievement but also the development of a just moral code and philosophy towards our lives that was yet beginning. The hallowed Rafflesian traditions like a healthy body through sports, widening of our horizons by being able to partake in a wide repertoire of extracurricular (now termed as co-curricular - which I humbly think is more appropriate) activities made available to us and maintaining a high level of discipline was an ethos he embraced. These rigors made Rafflesians excel in every sphere of their endeavors. It made us special. I have never known one who was not at the top of his or her 'game'. It ranges from topnotch directors, professionals and sportsmen/sportswomen to the class joker ( - this friend of mine was really a gifted chap). Mr. Mosbergen was a man of few words ergo deep meaningful thoughts cogitate in his mind and unfailing love for God streams through his soul.

I miss him...

JT (class of 1980-1985)

PS: He was quite an accomplished pianist who served his church.

Unknown said...

Erratum:

A correction of my grammar.

1) It should be cogitated instead of cogitate.

2) It should be streamed instead of streams.

I apologise for the error.

JT