Sunday, July 6, 2008

What Happens when you drive the opposite direction in an F1?



Nothing!...If you are on the F1 Simulator!

Last week, I signed up for the SingTel F1 simulator with my wife, since I will not pay to wait just to see fast cars zoom by me.

When my turn came, I hopped into the simulator - a live size F1 car with 3 computer panels in front of me showing the tracks and my "view" during the "race". Soon, I was flagged off (by the technician) and I quickly gain speed reaching some 80kph quickly. I did not see the sharp corner and ramped into the wall. I "survived" and losing no time, I executed a 3-point turn to bring my vehicle back on track again. Soon, I see the track ahead of me again... I stepped on the accelerator and "zooooom", I was off again. This time, I negotiated the turns well and picked up speed on the straight road reaching some 240kph... It was exciting and I looked set to complete the first round in very good time... My heart was racing...

I was interupted by the technician. I was rather annoyed actually, breaking my concentration as I was racing a good race. He said..."ah... sir... you are going the wrong direction...". My heart sank but soon the feeling of disappointment turned to ambarassment. I did get back on the race and completed the 2 rounds in 6 mins 36 seconds - a very bad time. I was having some motion sickness by the time I ended.

When I regained my composure, I thought to myself, what other lessons can I learn here. The familiar management quote of "It does not matter how fast you are moving if you are heading the wrong direction!'. How TRUE!

In real life, let us not be hasty. Spend some time to ensure that you are in the RIGHT direction first before you start your race of LIFE! Good luck!

No comments: